Homeowners Terese and Grey Truex have a love/hate relationship with their backyard. They love the size of it, but they have no idea where to begin in designing the space. Right now, it's a mish-mash of materials, and they want a more cohesive look. Landscape designer Lisa Wheeler creates a warm and social space complete with a new flagstone patio, wine barrel seats and a cement sofa.
Since the couple loves Italy, landscape designer Lisa Wheeler creates a Mediterranean garden. A flagstone patio adds a rustic vibe and an entertainment center to the yard. The newly built redwood arbor is covered with climbing vines to add to the old world feel. In addition, it helps contain the space and creates an outdoor space. For a unique touch, they build an outdoor sofa out of concrete and redwood into the retaining wall.
After moving into their home four years ago, the couple is now ready to tackle the backyard. With two young boys, it's essential to have spaces to play. In addition, they love to throw parties, so they want areas for entertaining.
A cool water feature is built out of a wine rack and some wine bottles, and they design a fun space around the tree. A few extra pieces of flagstone create a natural path to the tree, and wine barrels in various heights are perfecting for their active boys. Colorful Mediterranean plants and a new lawn are the finishing touches to the garden.
Though your home is your castle, there is no necessity to surround it with a moat. Here are 5 tips that will help you to make your landscaping feel more warm, welcoming and cozy.
1. Put some flowers nearby your entrance. Flowers make any area look more welcoming and attractive, so greeting your guests with Petunia, Snapdragon, Lily-of-the-Nile or some other garden flowers is always a great thing to do. What is more, to add some space between your house and the entrance, you can consider adding a little white fence. It will create an illusion that your front yard is bigger than it actually is. What is more, adding fence will create a great space for planting flowers to add some color and coziness.
2. Add rambling vines to make your yard look absolutely lovely. You can not deny that rambling vines always create romantic and even magical atmosphere. So why not to use this tip while decorating your yard?
3. To hide the unattractive driveway, consider adding some color, texture, and height. You can easily do it by adding various sorts of flowers. To start, create an island of green lawn right in the hub of a drive. Then add a couple of low boxwood hedges with flowers toward the back of your island.
4. If you want your yard to blossom and flourish bust still do not have enough time to maintain it, consider planting low-fuss lilies. Such flowers look absolutely gorgeous and come in the variety of rainbow hues, so you can pick the one you love most. What is more, low-fuss lilies do not care about the sort of soil, they love the sun and welcome hot, they do not afraid of drought. In other words, Crinums is an ideal flower for all those who are looking for low-maintenance solutions.
5. The last tip also touches the low-maintenance aspect. To make your life easier, group plantings into beds and islands. This will help you to avoid mowing and trimming around each individual plant, save a lot of time and even money.