If your home is your castle, but the area right outside looks like a blackened, scarred landscape worthy of a medieval battle scene, you know you have work to do. Your home's landscape wasn't meant to be abandoned, abused and neglected; it's an asset. In fact, a functional, beautiful yard can increase a property's value by as much as 20 percent [source: Colorado Business Magazine].
But maintaining your home's exterior takes time and money, and you're running short on both. However, there are ways to turn your no man's land into a gorgeous, eye-grabbing haven, without laying waste to your wallet.
First, let's define what we mean by landscaping. Some people think of grasses and flowers as the foundation of landscaping challenges, but there's more to it than greenery.
Instead, think of your yard project as a holistic environment in which the plant life, terrain, water bodies, and human-created elements, such as fences, walls, decks, patios and other structures, all combine to present a specific feel and function.
In order to create a lasting, beautiful, and valuable landscape outside your home, you'll have to do some planning. By taking the time to really ponder about how you want this precious space to look, you'll wind up with an area that not only looks great, but costs you a lot less money in the long run. Although Americans might spend around $45 billion in a single year for landscaping and lawn services and supplies, you don't have to contribute your hard-earned income to that huge figure [source: National Gardening Association].
Though your home is your castle, there is no necessity to surround it with a moat. Here are 5 tips that will help you to make your landscaping feel more warm, welcoming and cozy.
1. Put some flowers nearby your entrance. Flowers make any area look more welcoming and attractive, so greeting your guests with Petunia, Snapdragon, Lily-of-the-Nile or some other garden flowers is always a great thing to do. What is more, to add some space between your house and the entrance, you can consider adding a little white fence. It will create an illusion that your front yard is bigger than it actually is. What is more, adding fence will create a great space for planting flowers to add some color and coziness.
2. Add rambling vines to make your yard look absolutely lovely. You can not deny that rambling vines always create romantic and even magical atmosphere. So why not to use this tip while decorating your yard?
3. To hide the unattractive driveway, consider adding some color, texture, and height. You can easily do it by adding various sorts of flowers. To start, create an island of green lawn right in the hub of a drive. Then add a couple of low boxwood hedges with flowers toward the back of your island.
4. If you want your yard to blossom and flourish bust still do not have enough time to maintain it, consider planting low-fuss lilies. Such flowers look absolutely gorgeous and come in the variety of rainbow hues, so you can pick the one you love most. What is more, low-fuss lilies do not care about the sort of soil, they love the sun and welcome hot, they do not afraid of drought. In other words, Crinums is an ideal flower for all those who are looking for low-maintenance solutions.
5. The last tip also touches the low-maintenance aspect. To make your life easier, group plantings into beds and islands. This will help you to avoid mowing and trimming around each individual plant, save a lot of time and even money.