Whether you are getting ready to sell your home or just want to show a little more pride in ownership, updating your yard can make a difference. Not everyone has a green thumb, but having a beautifully landscaped yard may help give your home a little extra curb appeal. If you don’t have the gardening knowledge — or luck — that it takes to maintain your dream front yard, there are still easy curb appeal projects you can undertake to boost its appearance.
Low-Maintenance Plants and Flowers
Just because you’re not an avid gardener doesn’t mean you can’t have an attractive garden, but it may mean you’re better suited for low-maintenance plants that require minimal watering, pruning and weeding. The National Gardening Association says planting flowering shrubs or perennials can minimize maintenance over time, as they grow back each year on their own. Better Homes and Gardens says low-maintenance plants include:
Get A Quote
Get A Quick, Personalized Insurance Quote Today.
A great rate is just a few clicks away.
Other low-maintenance plant options, says The Old Farmer’s Almanac, include dwarf varieties of shrubs and trees and native plants to your area. If you use flora that naturally survives in your climate, it will adapt to surroundings and require less outside assistance, adds the Almanac. Select plants that will thrive in your yard’s conditions, says Better Homes and Gardens, and they will basically take care of themselves.
Simple Gardening Techniques
Though your home is your castle, there is no necessity to surround it with a moat. Here are 5 tips that will help you to make your landscaping feel more warm, welcoming and cozy.
1. Put some flowers nearby your entrance. Flowers make any area look more welcoming and attractive, so greeting your guests with Petunia, Snapdragon, Lily-of-the-Nile or some other garden flowers is always a great thing to do. What is more, to add some space between your house and the entrance, you can consider adding a little white fence. It will create an illusion that your front yard is bigger than it actually is. What is more, adding fence will create a great space for planting flowers to add some color and coziness.
2. Add rambling vines to make your yard look absolutely lovely. You can not deny that rambling vines always create romantic and even magical atmosphere. So why not to use this tip while decorating your yard?
3. To hide the unattractive driveway, consider adding some color, texture, and height. You can easily do it by adding various sorts of flowers. To start, create an island of green lawn right in the hub of a drive. Then add a couple of low boxwood hedges with flowers toward the back of your island.
4. If you want your yard to blossom and flourish bust still do not have enough time to maintain it, consider planting low-fuss lilies. Such flowers look absolutely gorgeous and come in the variety of rainbow hues, so you can pick the one you love most. What is more, low-fuss lilies do not care about the sort of soil, they love the sun and welcome hot, they do not afraid of drought. In other words, Crinums is an ideal flower for all those who are looking for low-maintenance solutions.
5. The last tip also touches the low-maintenance aspect. To make your life easier, group plantings into beds and islands. This will help you to avoid mowing and trimming around each individual plant, save a lot of time and even money.