(Photo by: Proven Winners)
Ever wondered how to grow petunias that will be the envy of your neighborhood or garden club? Here are 10 tips from Wave Petunias to help you grow perfect petunias:
- If you can, plant your petunias early enough in the season to enable them to establish strong root systems before high temperatures set in. The more established the plant, the more heat tolerant it is.
- When planting petunias, maintain the same plant depth as the original pot or pack. Space spreading petunias, such as Wave or Easy Wave Petunias, 12 to 24 inches apart in garden beds to allow room to grow.
- Plant petunias in a sunny location. They need at least six hours of direct sunlight to keep plants blooming and looking their best all season long.
- Petunias are heavy "feeders." Apply a liquid fertilizer every 10 to 14 days, or use a combination of a liquid and a slow-release fertilizer.
- Don't let your petunias dry out. They need plenty of water, but keep in mind that the soil in beds and containers must be well drained. If possible, water your plants in the morning so the foliage dries before evening.
- Rotate your garden beds every year to avoid planting petunias in the same spot. If you want to give your garden beds a break, Wave works well in containers, baskets and window boxes as well.
- For lush, full container displays, place three plants in a 10- to 12-inch (25 to 30 cm) container, hanging basket or patio planter. Larger containers will require additional plants for an attractive, proportioned display.
- Try planting spreading petunias in a moss-lined hanging basket. The moss will allow you to place an additional 10 plants on the side of the basket for a fast, beautiful cascading look.
- Tidal Wave® Petunias can be used to create a flower-filled hedge or "screen" for air conditioners or fences. Since these petunias are tall, a support may be needed from a trellis or fence.
Though your home is your castle, there is no necessity to surround it with a moat. Here are 5 tips that will help you to make your landscaping feel more warm, welcoming and cozy.
1. Put some flowers nearby your entrance. Flowers make any area look more welcoming and attractive, so greeting your guests with Petunia, Snapdragon, Lily-of-the-Nile or some other garden flowers is always a great thing to do. What is more, to add some space between your house and the entrance, you can consider adding a little white fence. It will create an illusion that your front yard is bigger than it actually is. What is more, adding fence will create a great space for planting flowers to add some color and coziness.
2. Add rambling vines to make your yard look absolutely lovely. You can not deny that rambling vines always create romantic and even magical atmosphere. So why not to use this tip while decorating your yard?
3. To hide the unattractive driveway, consider adding some color, texture, and height. You can easily do it by adding various sorts of flowers. To start, create an island of green lawn right in the hub of a drive. Then add a couple of low boxwood hedges with flowers toward the back of your island.
4. If you want your yard to blossom and flourish bust still do not have enough time to maintain it, consider planting low-fuss lilies. Such flowers look absolutely gorgeous and come in the variety of rainbow hues, so you can pick the one you love most. What is more, low-fuss lilies do not care about the sort of soil, they love the sun and welcome hot, they do not afraid of drought. In other words, Crinums is an ideal flower for all those who are looking for low-maintenance solutions.
5. The last tip also touches the low-maintenance aspect. To make your life easier, group plantings into beds and islands. This will help you to avoid mowing and trimming around each individual plant, save a lot of time and even money.